Monday, April 02, 2007

2nd April 2007
I’m sitting in the yard tonight even though it’s 7pm and the sun has slipped away from sight. Now descending from above, to tingle fingers and cheeks comes a touch of cooler air. My senses heighten, sharpen and become more creative in application. Mosquitoes dance in a group of eight a few feet from my face to the warbling song of the blackbird chanting a hypnotic avian evensong. Tulips and daffodils form a crescent swathe at my feet and as the light changes so too does their vibrant colour, intensifying in the gloom like a paradoxical truth of evening. Now I hear crows and a solitary pigeon. One spitting harridan curses and the other a tender cooing lullaby and through it all weaves the blackbird and now a robin. And oh, it is all staggeringly restful, till at last the chorus stills at 8pm as night approaches. Now all I hear is the sound of passing cars like a rushing wind heard at the top of high hills. Time for some warmth.

Spring is here with something man cannot make
Warming dusk, lighting nights and watering dawns
My heart for its worth is here and beats in time
For summer is knocking and spring opens the gate
So take joy in these days and reflect on each sign
The world is at last awake and tonight it is mine