Thursday, May 31, 2007

31st May 2007

Just a quick few lines before the weekend. I am off to a wedding in Hertfordshire for a few days. It’s Nick’s nephew Ben and he’s marrying his long time sweetheart. I’m looking forward to it although I don’t really know too many people that will be there.

The weather (you know Brits like to talk about this all the time.) is titanically tedious being dull and cold. From the pleasantness of April we have come back to the misery of late winter. Everything seems to be now in stasis till the warmth returns. Which is most welcome for all the bad insects and weeds but not so good for all the plants I have been busy planting. It is truly maddening, but that’s a British summer.

Extend an arm with a finger pointed toward the distance and measure the winds chill. Take a deep breath and call forth the summer and await it’s answer. Slow it is coming from the arms of the south. The lovers reluctant to let go and let the southern hemisphere sleep till spring. I miss so the heat and I miss the rain and most of all I miss the freedom of my nurtured open spaces that summer brings back to me.

Here’s hoping the South UK is a little warmer this weekend. Enjoy whatever you’re doing.