Wednesday, August 15, 2007

15th Aug 2007

All returns to rain once again and silvered clouds are pouring down sheets of clearest water onto the waning growth of summer. There is some Lammas growth around on the trees but it looks like the main expenditure of growth this year was in June and July due to the abundant rain. I have never seen all the trees look so healthy and lush as they do this year. One gets the feeling that this wet summer will carry them through the coming years in better stead than they otherwise would have been. Still that said the first few leaves are falling (more accurately probably being blown from the branches by the strong wind,) and it is said that to catch one before the equinox brings good luck.

I was looking up Lammas and came across this site which details the Celtic seasons and moons...quite interesting so have a read. Probably a little too Wiccan or pagan for me but it is interesting to read what was believed in and wonder what we shall believe in future millennia. I am quite sure it won’t be any of the religions around at the minute. Certainly hope not anyway. Or that they have transmuted into benevolent and loving creeds. We’re not seeing much evidence of that though.

http://www.firetree.net/wheel/TimesAndTides/festivals.html

What panoply, (an impressive and magnificent display or array of something) of creatures are feeding on my fruit and nut mix on the wall outside the window. It’s ranging from a mouse to all manner of birds and squirrels. The pigeons are my least favourite as they gannet everything in sight and with a rapidity that makes me and KFC look sluggish. My favourite is Mr Mouse because he’s so cheeky and because of the fact that he has been living so close all this time and I never knew. How quick they all learn the times food is proffered to them. Somebody thought it was a waste of my money but I think it’s worth every penny. I also need to do good because I need good karma after the death of the aged spider in the sink the other day. It was big and brown and had a leg span of 100mm toe to toe and it has spent several years traversing between the upper and lower parts of the house. Always to be found moving about in early spring and late summer. Its last resting place was in the bedroom fireplace because often I could see it waiting for the lights to go out. Then I often thought that I could hear its little feet moving around the wooden floor and would leave the door open to let him out. (What a psychologist would make of that I would rather not think of!) But the mini beast could seriously move when required. Like some demented waltzer on string brown legs. Creepy things really I guess but live and let live and as mother always said “a house with a big spider was a lucky one.” (Lucky for the spider mainly, I suppose.) Just as well there is another even bigger one tucked away in the attic...perhaps there are dozens. Boy, am I never going up there again.

Been to water the leeks and potatoes tonight and got bitten by a new fiendish beetle type bug that I have not yet identified. So great, there is another mini carnivore to contend with now. Hope you’re faring better.