Friday, January 04, 2008

Thur 3rd Jan 2008

It must have been much colder last night as the bird food was frozen solid in the bowl. Luckily it is still dark so I can defrost it before the birds are up and singing. I would think there would be more shivering than singing this morning. Even now after all these years it never ceases to amaze me that these creatures spend the nights outside in the fiercest of conditions. Animals and insects make nests and burrows but a bird is basically exposed to everything the weather can bring. Sure it can sit within a tree but even there it can’t escape the elements.

Right now there is a battle raging between me and Mr Nicotine. He hammers away within my cranium and I for my part try to ignore him. He tries to show me a world of calm that would exist if only I would get some cigarettes. Yet his lie is apparent as I breathe deeper once again. He is losing the battle and that seems to make him hammer away all the more. Despite all my rants on health fascism etc, I do realise they are right. Smoking is bad!

There was a promise of snow but only briefly did any flakes fall from the leaden sky. Far too few to cover all the dirty pavements and roads with a thin dusting of white. I would have liked that. We haven’t had any snow for the longest time.

Enjoy the picture of Nick feeding geese and ducks New Years Eve at the lake.