Friday, February 22, 2008

21.02.2008

Been feeding the birds religiously all week while the temperatures have been below freezing. Because I’m doing it with such regularity the birds seem to attune to when the food is put out and sit on the wall looking through the window. I at first thought it was imagined wishful thinking but it is true. I shall try to get some pictures (and I already have tried) but it is difficult not to scare them away. I’ve been putting out a lot of food each day while the temperatures have been below freezing. Partly to make sure they have enough after the playground bullies (squirrels) have finished. We’ve just come out of a long spell of very cold weather now and it’s back to rain and cloud but much warmer. Should be the ideal weather for the frogs and I expect to see some frogspawn in the ponds very soon. Can you believe it is almost March...no neither can I!

We have a big audit at work this week and because it is my core area of responsibility it has been a little stressful. Luckily there don’t appear to be any major problems and it finishes today. Going to have another attempt at stopping smoking this Saturday along with Nick. Still if the not smoking has faltered the not eating meat is going great. I do find it immensely challenging to vary my diet and find new things to stimulate the taste buds. When I read stories like the huge recall of beef in the US that is going on now I feel I have done the right thing. Sooner or later we’ll all be eating a lot less meat anyway as simple arithmetic will take over and with a rapidly expanding population there simply won’t be enough land to support that number of animals. It’s probably not that far away. The statistics on the number of animals killed globally to feed us is absolutely staggering. It’s a bit like the universe too big to comprehend. Am I banging on...time for a subject change.

My new cooker arrived yesterday. I bought it with my long service award at work. The award is a cash bonus for completing 30 years (now nearly 31). I am not sure about it yet as I really liked my old cooker and had over the last 23 years achieved a symbiosis with it. However it was time for it to go but I shall miss it.

Here’s to a great weekend (whatever you’re doing.)