Thursday, November 20, 2008

Las Vegas 2008

It’s now Wednesday and I have been here for 4 days. It’s a bit of an enigma this city. A bit like heaven and hell all rolled into one. Some things are absolutely incredible but other show the darker side of the city. I am enjoying the hotel and the beautiful sunny weather but the crowd have booked far too many shows for me so tonight I am throwing a sickie (as it were) and giving them a miss. As someone who doesn’t go out very often this is rather like being thrown in the deep end and drowning so I needed a little air. It is nice to be on the computer for a little while again. It’s an experience here but I am missing home already. In truth I can’t wait to be back. I don’t mean too sound selfish but have to be honest. The one good thing is that Mike has had a great birthday. I have taken loads of pictures but want too load them properly so that may have too wait till I get home.

Here’s the itinerary

Sunday -Land -Eat - Bette Midler (The showgirl must go on…great) If I have that much energy at 6o plus I’ll be happy. Not so sure about the ‘f’ words though….!

Monday - Book the Grand Canyon trip $359 each - Visit the Luxor and MGM Grand - Watch Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian. This is a great show…absolutely fantastic. It enthralled me from start to finish.

Tuesday 6am - 10am trip to the Grand Canyon - Birthday Breakfast for Mike - Champagne toast in the room (courtesy of David and Ray) and then sunbathe at the pool for the rest of the afternoon. Dinner was taken at the Eiffel Tower restaurant which was excellent if ever so expensive.

Wednesday - Breakfast and sunbathe by the pool. Then a trip to the Venetian and the Mirage hotels before heading back to the hotel for a sleep while the others have dinner and then go to watch ‘O’ with Cirque du Soleil followed by ‘Jubilee’ at Ballys. I am so happy not to be going even though its been paid. Hope that doesn’t sound too selfish but I need a break from glitter and feathers.

Thursday
Fell much better after a long sleep (was in bed from 4pm till 8am which is a record for me I have to say.. No regrets lovely to have some time away from the group. Spent the morning sunbathing and then in the afternoon went to Caesars Palace where Mike bought a crystal torpedo with a glass jellyfish inside with his birthday money. At night went to see the Mamma Mia show which was on at the Mandalay Bay theatre. I had forgotten there were so many Abba songs. The show was ok and I enjoyed it. However I think the singers on stage were enjoying it even more than us…then had dinner at the hotel and came home.

Friday
Breakfast - pool and then off to see the Bodies exhibition at the Luxor….a bit macabre but weird to see what is inside you. How does it all fit in there? Gourmet buffet night at the hotel and it certainly was. I think I had a taste of everything. I was in bed for 10pm after watching the fountains for an hour. I think the fountains are the best thing here…cannot really be described and have to be seen. It’s the last day tomorrow. Now that came around quickly. We didn’t see anyone else from the party yesterday.

Saturday
Weather has been I the high 70’s all week but rain and cool weather forecast next week so we have been really lucky with the weather. Last sunbathe this morning but the weather was cool and a little hazy so we headed off to the Wynn hotel. Now that’s another splendid hotel. In the evening off to see Jersey Boys (story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons) which is a great show but again not sure I needed all the ‘f’ words. This was followed by dinner at the Top of the World Restaurant in the Stratosphere. Despite my reservation that was a great show and followed by a delicious meal. By the way don’t go to the top of the Stratosphere and watch the rides after eating…it gives you ever such a queasy feeling. Definitely don’t attempt the ride…unless you’re completely mad.

Sunday
Time to say goodbye (which is also one of the best fountain songs) so get to the airport only to get a four hour delay…we are all comatose o the way back and get into he UK at 11am.

So a list of good points first (this assumes you have a lot of spare dollars)

The Bellagio hotel is everything you could want it to be and more or try the Wynn hotel
The musical fountains at the Bellagio…aquatic fireworks and a marvel of technology.
The food and flowers at the Bellagio (fresh every day)
The staff at the Bellagio who were always courteous
Americans or 99.9% who were always so well mannered and friendly
The Grand Canyon from the air but I would have liked to raft the Colorado whilst looking up at the canyon scale. The scale is breathtaking…I am lost for words to describe it.
The Phantom of the Opera show at the Venetian…amazing!!
The detailed replicas of world cites is unique and inspiring.

So now the bad points

Gambling appears to be compulsory (you can play just about everywhere)
Everything is relatively very expensive
Everyone is assumed to be awake till after midnight so lots of noise till then
In a desert where does all the water come from and why does it taste so bad
High rise towers blotting out the sun.
Hawkers trying to give cards all the time (for naughty girl’s services.)
There seems to be a lot of naughty ladies here.

Despite my moans earlier once I’d had a good sleep on Wednesday night I felt much better and enjoyed the rest of the week. Las Vegas is a great city.