Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It’s a beautiful morning here but not as good as yesterday. Weather girl on TV says we are going to have a good week and another glorious weekend…I shall hope it is so anyway. Some good weather on the holiday would be nice. Funny thought now though is I also want some rain for the bog garden as it is looking a little dry even after a few days of dry weather. I made a few mercy trips with the bucket tonight just to keep everything nice and moist.

The owl woke me up this morning but I stayed in bed and drifted off back to sleep again till 5am. This morning the sky is blue hung with clouds that change from purest white to grey along their breadth. The birds are in full song later now at 7am and I can make out the chaffinch song coming from the holly bush. Soon the autumn will take away the music of dawns bathed in watery light piercing heavy mists, so I shall enjoy the world today all the more.
.
It is so hard to describe the world at this time of the year. It is still a rapture of greens tinged brown and water and paling skies that hang low in the sky and the feeling is one of not walking but floating through a vista into paradise. Other countries may have the deep fall colours. But is there anywhere in the world that has sweeter autumns? I doubt it.

I almost hate to say it but one good moment last night was a large brown rat which ran across the sloping flowerbed in front of the seat into next doors garden and under their shed. I saw it in the corner of my eye and watched it a while. I even took a fuzzy photo (see below,) I thought it was a bird at first. It has made my night. Funny how they move and I figure it is harder for them to be caught if they never move in a straight line. I certainly wouldn’t want a rat anywhere near the house (the garden is some hundred feet away,) but out here in the wild grass where they belong they are just amazing to watch. I thought of all the things one could see I spy a rat, but the truth is out there and like the poor, the rats are always with us. I shan’t tell the others though. Experience teaches that others don’t always share the same point of view. Always remember that “A singular moment often shapes a lifetime going forward from it.”

I shall have a lovely holiday down south even though I may be ‘far too northern’ for them and take lots of photos and hope you have a great week too. I’ll try to post as I go but that may not be possible.