Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The rain too soon eases leaving wet plants unwarmed in the thin evening sun. Night descends and a frosted hand makes all now sparkle with endless possibilities. The moons smile gleams off crystal covered paths that shimmer and reflect light in the weak spotlight of a decaying evening sun harnessed into a cool brilliance. Night comes slowly and softly as the light dims. The last birdsong decays as feathered bodies fluff and relax into the torpor darkness brings. Our footsteps tread over the glistening paths that wind toward home. For silence rides in on the back of darkness to lull all to dreams of a bright day welcoming them into a summer dawn when each plant and flower unfolds onto a stage and every thrumming insect works the crowd along every emerald traced branch

Just once I look into the skies of autumn, shimmering with stars set upon a blackest clarity and feel the coldness reach and touch within me like an iced finger. It cools toes and fingers and sings with a cruel warning to go inside. For if we are found naked and alone within the thrall of night by the frost we shall not see the day again. Yet I shall stay a little longer and let the numbness spread through my limbs, for the cold teaches the lesson of mortality. I am not of consequence save within the thoughts of those that would care. So I gaze upon the night sky spread like an obsidian robe and ponder the world. Like an ant that would gaze up at me I cannot understand what I see and yet I would try. For it moves me to somewhere else that is magical and fearful and how I so wish I could go there. Perhaps one day I shall