Monday, May 03, 2010

Well it looks like it is going to be an interesting week...I wouldn’t put money on Gordon Brown winning Thursday. But the forecast is whoever wins nothing will change and we shall continue on this downward slide we are currently in. For Joe Average it means a higher tax burden for the remaining fewer and fewer of us employed and cuts in all the major services (which are already overstretched.) I don’t see an end to all of this and nothing drives inequality and bigotry quite like hard times. All the western societies have hard choices to make over the next few years but it seems unlikely that they will.

I haven’t decided who I shall vote for yet, but likely it will be Labour again and can only hope that if, (amazingly) they win, the first thing they do is drop Gordon and get someone with a bit more personality and vision. He reminds me of myself a little bit, but that is not a personality recommendation for politics, where first impression count for everything. After all looking back any worthwhile social reforms happened under Tony Blair’s leadership. What has Gordon done really of any note but infamously throw 120 billion at the economy and left us to pay for it. While we’re on the subject where did that money go? I didn’t get any, (£120,000,000,000 divided by 20,000,000 workers is £6000 each and as the money was simply printed (not underpinned by assets) what it really means is we now have each to pay £6000 back (plus interest) over the next few years.

Its times like this you need to have some kind of outdoor space (no matter how small!) To be able to watch nature grow, change and so remind us that we are not the most important things on the planet. Even if we tend to think we are. Today I hope to finish the new pond off. (It’s a public holiday in the UK – May Day.) Looking out of the window I can see a heavy frost occurred over night, so that has probably done some damage. It looks like being a cool day running into a cool week. If I get it all finished I’ll take some pictures and put them on later. Have a good day whatever you do.