Friday, July 23, 2010

Tuesday 29th June

Well can’t believe we are now over the hill and making our way to the darker nights. I don’t mean that in a pessimistic way as there are still lots of warm days ahead – but it doesn’t half happen quickly.

We have been (note the ‘been’) having the most amazing long, dry, spell of weather in this part of the country for at least a decade. Lancashire has never been so dry…all my stored water has been used and the new pond I dug is barely wet. A fledgling bird fell in a drowned the other day so for him at least it wasn’t the best of summers.

I built another herb garden the other night and discovered a wasp’s nest in the bush by the gate. I wouldn’t normally bother but now the dog is a worry. So at the first sign of bother will relocate them into oblivion; sad but necessary I suppose. I’ve been quiet on here but haven’t been busy really…just lazing around after work I guess enjoying the sun and the garden and the absence of midges.

Wednesday 21st July 2010

Here we are nearly a month on and what a change to everything. Torrential rain and dark, dismal days filled with mist and thunderous, cool winds. So, back to a normal northern summer once again. I don’t know where all the days have gone over the last few months. I did wonder if the wasps nesting in the bush would be washed away but remarkably the nest is still ok. Funny though, to think; it is made of wood, chewed and stuck together with wasp spit. Probably they put us to shame in our daily meagre endeavours. I guess the equivalent would be making a 3 bedroomed home in a couple of weeks with our bare hands.

The garden and the herbs were doing well till the rainy cool weather – now the basil is practically shivering and if that wasn’t bad enough the roe deer have eaten my horseradish plants. I’ve moved them into the glasshouse for safety now. So looks like horseradish is off the menu and venison is on...just kidding!