Friday, October 22, 2010

It's not been a great few months but life goes on in its own unstoppable way. We buried my Dad Tuesday and had a wake at my brother’s house. Dad would have been in his element with all those meat pies and ham sandwiches. Still don't understand how people can be warm and vibrant and then gone in minutes. It is so like the summer as it passes to autumn.

I have to confess I was late for my father’s funeral. I thought I knew the way but got mixed up. I turned around and came back and passed a hearse and car heading back the way I had just come. Got to be them I thought so I did another swift turn and followed them. After a few miles down a narrow country lane they stopped at a picturesque church and I realised it was another funeral. Luckily two hikers were passing and they gave me the correct directions. I was mortified at the time but somewhat funny in retrospect. I wrote and did the eulogy for the service - it is only shortbut it was so hard to compose. It made up for being late anyway. If I am glad of anything it is that he did not suffer and for once we all came together as a family and did him proud.

Here’s the eulogy

Dad was born in 1933 on the 21st June to Bridget and Thomas and was soon after joined by his 2 sisters and a brother. Life was hard then with the war and rationing but it was easier than it was going to be once he’d married mother and between them raised seven children. They didn’t do it all without help and to those that helped – we say thank you. It was some family tree they made and it continues to grow strong.

Dad worked for over fourty years in the local paper mill and despite what modern medicine tells us now you can actually go a long way on the wrong diet. He was robust in constitution and apart from one problem he was always healthy right up to the end. This was in no small part due to the loving care of Trevor and Eileen and we his other children thank you for taking such good care of dad for so many years.

Dad like the now falling autumn leaves, you let go all your familiar ties and started a new adventure. Have a swift journey to it now and say a big hello to Mum who’s been waiting for so long to see you. Follow now where your heart leads you and think of us all as you walk together again in places that are forever blessed in springtime. Oh and make sure you enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts. Goodnight and God bless.


You might have noticed all the government cuts announced yesterday – wonder how they'll affect us over the coming years. The only thing sure is it won’t be in a good way, but just how much may it hurt us remains to be seen. More taxes and carry on working till you drop seems to be the outward message from it all. Not that it is just us in the UK. The whole world has gone into austerity mode. Well so long as I can eat simply; but well, and keep warm I shan't really mind.