Thursday, October 03, 2013

Grand Old Opry


The boards are quiet at the Grand Old Opry
Curtains drawn back on an empty stage
Festoons of swags and tails thick with dust
Placed gently by slow time that has passed away
A lone chair placed centre stage looks over the stalls
It beckons me over and I sit to take in the scene
Remember the days; now so long ago gone by 
When you dressed up in your best and came here
Sat in eager expectation for the main act to arrive
The present haze dissipates into the colour of the past
I can see her in my mind; the country queen holds court
Her perfume on the air, curtains draw upon excellence
Rhinestones dazzle; platinum hair shimmers in the footlights
Beautiful smile; petite over engineered physique stands proud
Fills the stage with honest joy; her audience applauds; she is content
The songs come like winds of revelation to take away any doubt
And at her close we know that she loves each and every one of us
I admire you Dolly; you made it big by being modest and kind
A quiet kindness that makes me close to you though I never knew you,
I came from the future because lying here in the past was perfection