Friday, October 04, 2013

October


October with her day born mist caresses along the length of my nose like a finger wrapped in wet silk. Vapour stifles sounds across the still water till I feel I am almost alone. A lone wandering spirit now trapped in a white cocoon of her enveloping inquiry. She has come to earth to wreath and covets my spirit. She cannot succeed, but in her embrace I feel the change of days laid bare by the new month. It is here now on the cusp of winter that the chill air takes away any hope of sunlit days with its watery, sensual touches. I breathe her, taste her and smell the decaying foliage she casts to the ground. She is brutal and yet benevolent and has the majesty of a tyrant touched by a brief pity for the world. So she allows it one last breath of chance to prepare for the tightening grip of her hold upon all living things. The usurped green crown of summer she now wears but in each day of this month it becomes the white-golden diadem to pass to November.